Sunday, April 16, 2006

And the River is Deep...

My sock odyssey continues. First up are the River Rapids Socks, pattern from SockBug. Lana Grossa Meilenweit Cotton Maya (45% cotton,43% Virgin wool and 13% Polyamide), colorway 7020. Crystal Palace bamboo dpns, US size 2 (2.75mm). Modifications: None, except that I knit these on DPNs, rather than on 2 circular needles.

Once I finished this pair of socks, I was feeling pretty cocky and was ready to design my own socks. I started looking through my 365 Knitting Stitches a Year Perpetual Calendar and decided to use the April 19th stitch, Bluebell Rib.

These socks looked great, I took detailed notes so I could share the pattern when I was done. I knit them up on Crystal Palace Bamboo dpns US 1.5 and used Fortissima Socka yarn in the 1014 colorway.

And, when I was done, I started to look for something new to knit. And, found the free Mock Croc Socks pattern on Knit Picks. Well I'll be a son of a bitch! Great minds DO think alike! LOL

Finally, another pattern from SockBug, this time the Bubble Wrap Socks. These really do remind me of bubble wrap and are a quick and fun pair of socks to knit up. These were done up on Crystal Palace Bamboo size 1.5 dpns using Sockotta yarn, number 08 colorway. Don't you just love my sheep mug? I got it for 29ยข at my Value Village thrift store.

Looky what else I found there for $3.00, clear tennis shoe clogs!! Aren't they just too kewl for words? What a fun way to show off my socks!

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Socks, socks and more socks

I've been bitten by the sock bug. Bit hard... I'm a self taught knitter, but I'd never tried knitting socks. And, so, for Christmas, I was gifted with a sock class at Needlework Unlimited.

It was my Knitting Olympics project and, although I technically started my first sock before the Olympics, I did start the 2nd sock during the opening ceremonies. That counts, right? It was a project new to me and a challenge. Here's my first pair of socks:

These were made with Sockotta yarn 617, 45% cotton, 40% superwash wool and 15% nylon. I did my swatch on US size 2 needles and he teacher suggested hat I use a US size 3. They're nice... Great, in fact, for my first pair, but I wish I would have done them on the 2's.

Next, I had to make B a pair of socks. He did pay for the class, after all, it was my Christmas gift from him. These are made with Lana Grossa Meilenweit Fun & stripes on US 3's. He loves them, he was afraid to wear them, because he didn't want to ruin them. Now he wears them all the time.

Next on the needles were "Child's First Sock in Shell Pattern" from Nancy Bush's "Knitting Vintage Socks." The first pair is made with Lana Grossa Meilenweit 1300 on size US2's. I almost ripped these out because I didn't think the pattern was showing up well, but decided that if I finished the 3rd pattern repeat and wasn't in love, tink, they would go. I'm SO glad I kept going, I'm totally loving them.

Next came another pair in the same pattern, but I used Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed, Pulp, 85% wool, 10% silk, 5% cashmere and 100% YUM! I did these on US 5's, cast on 48 stitched instead of 64 and adjusted the patterns accordingly. I made detailed notes because I have more of this yarn. The only downside is that they're hand wash only, but I guess that's not really a problem.

Finally, hot off the needles and drying as we speak are Mom's birthday socks. They aren't going to get there in time for her birthday, tho... I used Jeanie Townsend's Cascading Leaves pattern with several modifications, but first...

I started knitting these with Trekking XXL 113 on US 2's. The swatch seemed fine, but the gauge was too loose, for my liking, and once I got going the color seemed too wintery. So, off the needles and on for the perfect yarn. Here are the specs:

*Yarn: Dalegarn Baby Ull in mint green (9013) and reinforced the heels as the yarn is 100% wool (superwash).
*Needles: Crystal Palace US 1.5 (2.5 mm)

~ After ribbing, I slipped everything over one stitch on the needles so each needle began and ended with a purl stitch. In this way, the ribbing lined up to the pattern. (Thanks to Diana for the tip.

~ I did 8 pattern repeats for the leg

~ I also continued the pattern on the top of the foot. For this, I had to slip 8 stitches from each needle to the next needle so that the pattern laid the way I wanted it. The pattern comes to a ^ over the heels and toes rather than a v.

~ Decreased toes to 24 stitches, rather than 40, before kitchnering.

Reworking the pattern to continue the pattern on the top of the foot was what took so long. Well, that and a dropped stitch that I didn't see until rows later.

Now, to check the socks and see if they're dry so I can wrap them and get them into the mail!