Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Building a Log Cabin

I've seen a couple of these around blog-land and it started to grow on me; enough that I did a Google search for a pattern.

I found I found this pattern and this pattern. Both called for binding off each color, then picking up the stitches again when getting back to that side of the afghan. I started a square and decided that picking up the stitches was a major pain in the a$$ and, if I continued to make it one large square instead of several smaller squares, it wasn't going to be pretty having to pick up hundreds of stitches with every color change.

I got to thinking, and I'm sure that others have already thought of it... Why not put the live stitches on waste yarn and then just pick them up when ready. Better yet, instead of waste yarn, why not use spare circular needles as looooong stitch holders?! So, I started over and now I only need to pick up 10 stitches on either side of the stitch holder. Yay!

Which then brings me to my other least favorite thing... Weaving in the ends. Will most definitely need to keep up with this as I go and not leave them all to the end. Just weaving in what you see here took the better part of an hour.

I am liking this tho, it will be nice mindless knitting while watching TV, or late at night when I don't need to concentrate.

Specs: Whatever worsted weight yarn I find at Value Village, or what's on sale at Michaels or Joanns on US size 7 needles. Total un-yarn-snob all the way, baby!

2 Comments:

At September 15, 2006 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blanket looks gorgeous already, I love the colors you're using - and these modifications you did are fantastic, they sound like they'll make everything a lot easier - awesome idea!

 
At September 19, 2006 10:17 PM, Blogger Kari said...

That looks pretty neat. I never liked weaving in the ends either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home