Thursday, June 16, 2005

Soleil is finished!

Soleil, she is finished:



The V neck is lower than I would like, so I did two rounds of crochet around the neckline. Still lower than I would like, so I'll need to wear something under it (a bra camisole) or find a nice pin to pin it together a bit more.

Stats:
Lion Brand Cotton-Ease (Pistachio)
Clover size 6 needles
Knit size 36

Now, when I knit my swatch on Susan Bates US size 6 needles, the gauge was a bit larger than called for, so I knit a size smaller than I would have had my gauge been right on.

So far, so good... Until I get to dividing the front from the back and then dividing the back. I thought it might be easier to switch to straight needles rather than continue using the circular needles. So, I go get the Susan Bates needles. But, wait, I must have grabbed the wrong ones, they're definitely smaller.

Upon further investigation, Clover US size 6 needles are 4.25mm whereas Susan Bates, Lion Brand and Boye (the 3 brands I checked) are all 4.mm.

So now, coming down the stretch, not only is my gauge bigger than called for, but I've been knitting on needles that are .25mm larger than called for. Not the US size 6 I'm used to, but a US size 6 1/2.

So... If I make this again, and I probably will, I'll make the same size, but on true US size 6 (4mm) needles. I will also cast on my first row on a size or two larger needle to try and avoid the curl that happens. I ironed the begjeebers out of the lace, but I'm afraid that it's still going to curl when I wear it.

Also, the ends that I wove in are already peeking out, I'm tempted to get out my Tacky Glue...

2 Comments:

At June 24, 2005 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it looks awesome!!! I can't wait to get started on mine. Going to do it in Candy Blue. I dont know what size to knit.. thats going to be the hard part! I wont mind it being low.. you can always wear something under it!

It looks great!!!!!

 
At September 19, 2007 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't know that about the Clover needles. Thanks for pointing it out.

Your Soleil is really cute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home